Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16th 2010

Question:


 How often is DNA Testing Wrong?

Answer:  Sometimes the swabs that you  take are contaminated...or the kitten nursed minutes earlier.. . That can sometimes affect the tests...and they need to be redone.  I have been testing kittens for 4 yrs and the tests have had to be rerun 4 out of 127 times...with one test that needed new swabs sent in.

I have had several kittens that I thought were female and the tests came back male...I looked again and sure enough they were boys...oops.....only one time has it been the reverse...I thought boy...the tests said female...I took the cat to the vet and he is definitely male...so I asked them to run the test again....sometimes their is human error involved....or not enough genetic material on the swab....especially when you are talking male/female markers.....but genetics are never wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment